Friday, July 1, 2011

Dehinde Akinlotan: A hero, Mudal Lawal’s support as an elixir .

Watching his childhood hero, the late Mudashiru Lawal, do great things with the ball was the only elixir Dehinde Akinlotan needed to whet his appetite for football. But his parents stood between him and the realisation of his innate abilities.
Hard as he tried to still the raging storm in him and remain a good boy to his parents, internal cravings would not let him be. Ironically, the passage of his father opened the door for him to live his passion, as his mother gave him her blessings to pursue his dream. From representing his primary and secondary schools, Akinlotan told ENO-ABASI SUNDAY from his Houston, Texas-base in the United States (U.S.) that he also represented Ogun state in numerous school meets, Nigeria at the 1983 FIFA World Youth Championship and finally played for the Green Eagles. To date, he remains one of the players to have graced the Boston Bolts All Stars list. This is where he played his professional soccer in the days of America Professional League Soccer (APSL).
WHEN Dehinde Akinlotan started tossing about the rubber ball bought for him by his parents, Mr. Joseph and Mrs. Modupe Akinlotan, the duo had no qualms about that, after all it was the norm that every growing male child should at least show a passing interest in the world’s most popular sport.
Both parents were, however, united in making a volte face the moment their son’s interest in the sport began to grow. Of course, this effectively pitched both parties on a collision course, as the former thought their dream of affording their ward sound western education would be dealt a devastating blow, if his love for the game was not subdued in good time.
But with his childhood hero, the late Mudashiru Lawal, still doing great things with the round leather object, it was a difficult thing for Akinlotan to look the other way and allow his love for the beautiful game to die a natural death.
“That is why I would say that growing up was very difficult in terms of going around to play football with friends because my parents were very disciplined and always wanted me to focus on my education, rather than football,” the defunct Green Eagles former star recalled.
Since there was nothing his parents could do to stop him from playing football in school, he continued savouring his passion out there. In fact, at St Paul’s Catholic School, Apapa Road, Ebute Metta, where he had his primary education, he played football and table tennis. But football remained his sport of choice even when he made it to Agunbiade Victory High School for his secondary education.
“In those days, watching ‘Shiru’ (as Mudashiru Lawal was fondly called) play motivated me to want to be like him and play the game like him because of the way he maneuvered the ball. As I grew, I watched him play in the senior category of the teams, while I played for the Babes, as the junior section of the teams was called. In those days, to qualify to play for either the senior or junior side, our heights were checked with an improvised wooden metre ruler.”
As time went by, Akinlotan’s sublime skills in football began to shine as he played alongside his bossom friend, Yisa Shofoluwe. Expectedly, he gained popularity among his peers and even senior players. This explains why his fledgling football career gained prominence then. The immense pressure from the home front notwithstanding, off school, he continued to play the local rubber ball, better known locally as Felele.
His dexterity with it saw him lace booths for several youth teams, including 7 Planners, 7 Pillars, Abeokuta Boys, 7 Marvelous - all in the Mushin District Council (MDC) along Isolo Road. He went on to play for the Brighton Football Club at the Evans Square, Ebute Metta.
What looked like a modicum of respite, however, came his way, and soon after that he started feeling free playing football.
“Since my parents were so disciplined, every time I was spotted playing football I would get into trouble back at home,” he said. “But after my father’s death, people came to tell my mother that I appeared on television playing football. That was the day I would say I enjoyed being a football superstar and started enjoying my mother’s support.
“In my primary school days, I played for the school’s football team. Godwin Odiye also attended the same school and we played alongside. However, my years in the secondary school were really memorable. One of the most memorable moments, I can recall, was when my school got to the zonal final of the Principal’s Cup in 1978. To reach that final played in Abeokuta, we defeated Rev. Kuti Grammar School in the semi-final.
“We finished runners-up at the final as we were defeated by a much tougher side, Abeokuta Grammar School. Even though my school never got to win a lot of medals in my days, we were always making it to the final and giving our opponents a very good fight. That is why we were talked about for a very long time in Abeokuta.”
He spoke on: “My most memorable game was when my school defeated Rev. Kuti Memorial Grammar School in the semi-final of the Principal’s Cup, with me scoring the only goal of the game in the final moments of the match. After the match, fans and students of the opposing school gave me a hot chase, trying to hurt me for causing them the ‘heartache’, as the goal prevented them from playing in the final they so much longed for. How I managed to escape that night remains a miracle.”
In the secondary school in Akeokuta, Akinlotan not only represented his school but also Ogun State at all the inter-state school sports meets that held then: “It was during these meets that I first encountered top school sports practitioners that came from states like Bendel, Lagos and Oyo states,” he noted.
“They included Humphrey Edobor from Bendel, Taju Disu, Wakilu Oyenuga, Olumide Banjo, Azuka and Jones Harbor Raymond King, Femi and Segun Olukanni, all from Lagos State, and the likes of Lumkin Adebowale, Kayode Balogun (Zege) from Oyo State. In those days, the mere fact that you were to play against some of these guys was enough to give anyone goose bumps. However, competitions in those days made you prepare yourself for the next level.”
Other than the inter-states sports meets for schools, Akinlotan said he also participated in some editions of the Oluyole Schools Sports for Ogun State, Ramat Cup and the 1981 National Sports Festival - Bendel 81. He also made the Abeokuta boys team that locked horns with Koda Boys of Lagos State in the final of the Ramat Cup at the then UAC Stadium (now Teslim Balogun Stadium).
That encounter, he said, was also a memorable one because “we played a star-studded Lagos side that had the likes of Raymond King, Taju Disu, Andrew Uwe, Samson Siasia, Femi and Segun Olukanni and Paul Okoku, among other fine players. With all modesty, I was one of the stars to watch in my side, and we also had Wasiu Ipaye, Mukaila Braimah, Lekan Ayinde, Femi Segun, while Fatai Alabi was the goalkeeper.”
The turning point in his football occurred in his third year in secondary school, which he captures this way: “What I consider my big moment in football came when, in Form 3, I was drafted by the then Sports Council of Ogun State to play for Ogun Rockets Football Club during the National Sports Festival in 1979.
“After that experience, I went on to play briefly for Wema Bank of Nigeria Football Club, with players like Kokumo Eweka (Pararo Kekedo), Jones Harbor, Azuka Harbor, Ephraim Bababo (Legelege Omo Alhaja) and Freeman Jones. I also played for Savannah Bank of Lagos.”
On the flipside, “my worst moment in sports as a young person was when I was denied the highest goal scorer (award) at Bendel ’81 festival because of some rules that were in place at the last minute during the festival.” It was in the midst of moving from one club side to the other, where his services were sought, that invitation to play for the Flying Eagles dropped on his laps.
He recalled: “I was invited to the Flying Eagles in 1982 when I was playing for National Bank. However, while in Ibadan to play a friendly game, the then chairman of Concord Newspapers and Abiola Babes Football Club, the late MKO Abiola, made a call to speak with me, Taju Disu, Shofoluwe, the late Chris Anigala and Wahab Adesina at the Premier Hotel.
“He told us that he would like us to join his club, stressing that he was ready to pay any amount we asked for. I told him that I would get back to him because I was still with National Bank. But when I got to Lagos, I had a discussion with Disu and Shofoluwe on what their decisions were. After taking a number of things into consideration, I finally agreed to join the club because he (Abiola) had good welfare packages for his players. In 1983, I joined the club and ended up spending two seasons there.”
In the Flying Eagles were Akintotan was a midfielder, he made it to the 1983 FIFA World Youth Championship, under veteran coach Christopher Udemezue. In that team, he played alongside his friend, Shofoluwe, Humphrey Edobor, Wahab Adeshina, Benson Edema, Dahiru Sadi, Tajudeen Disu, Tarila Okorowanta and Femi Olukanmi. It did not take long before he got an invite to the defunct Green Eagles, where he had the privilege of playing alongside his idol, Lawal.
“As God would have it, we (Lawal and I) both played and stayed together during the Green Eagles days in 1983/1984 at Festac Camp preparing for both Nations Cup and Olympic qualifiers,” he noted. “He was a mentor to me during my playing days up till the time I signed to play for Abiola Babes Football Club of Abeokuta.”
Taking a retrospective look at his career, he concluded: “I am blessed to have participated in the game fairly with no complications because back in the day, Nigeria had the ability to support all her athletes medically. That explains why athletes of those days were always eager to compete and be the best at all time.
“I must also point out the fact that taking part in sports quite early in life has made me a better person in life in terms of decision making. It also provided me with a wide range of opportunities regarding which school or college to attend because every school in those days wanted the best sportsmen to be in their register. This was possible because school sports then featured prominently in the curriculum of Nigerian schools.”
On the social plane, he added: “Playing football, which was actually me doing what I loved to do, created an avenue for me to meet and interact with people of diverse ethnic backgrounds. It also availed me the opportunity to meet the country’s political and economic elite. These were those that I might never have dreamt of meeting or sitting down with on the same table.
“A good example in this case was when I signed for Abiola Babes, where I met and sat with MKO Abiola. Also, when I was invited to play for the Flying and Green Eagles, I had the opportunity of shaking hands with the then Nigerian President, Shehu Shagari. Another was when I finally met my favourite player in the 1982 World Cup, which we failed to qualify for - the Argentine Pierre Littbarski, who was then playing for Tottenham Hotspur in England.
“We met at the All Stars of the American Professional League (APSL) in 1988. I was playing for Boston Bolts in Boston Massachusetts and he was playing for a Florida team. There, I was selected in the first team from the East to play against the West and I had a handshake with him.”
Unlike in western nations, where sportsmen of yesteryears are given due recognition as well as their pride of place in the society they served, Akinlotan is utterly disgusted with the treatment meted to his counterparts in the country.
He cried: “I am highly disappointed with the way and manner the states and country are treating our sporting heroes of yesteryears. So I would say that in view of what is going on and with the treatment being meted on past athletes in the country, we need a very strong union, comprising athletes of different sports disciplines. Once this happens, they would be in the best position to tackle each case with one voice as they crop up.”
Despite the lack of recognition accorded ex-internationals in latter day Nigeria, Akinlotan still savours the joy of representing the country and the fame it brought him. According to him, “during those years in Nigeria, the country was so good that we got everything to enhance our game.
“Playing football for the country made us feel great because people looked at us differently and wanted to be friends with us because of our star status. Apart from the good name we had, fans would go to any length to get us whatever we wanted, including gift items.”
However, active sports does not last forever: “I had a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) on my right knee while playing professional football with Boston Bolts during the APSL years in 1989, so I went on rehabilitation for a year. But during this period, I gained so much weight. Also mentally, my mind was very focused on my injury at the time, so I decided to quit active football and go into coaching.
“I moved back to New York from Boston and was asked to coach a non-profit Nigerian team called Flying Eagles in New York, which plays in the Caribbean Cup and the Cosmopolitan League in Brooklyn. After three years in that role and taking them to two championships, I moved to Houston, Texas, where I embarked on coaching both youth and adult players as a full time job with the Houston Express Soccer Club in Houston.
“I am one of the staff trainers for five of the group teams from U-12 boys and girls to U-16 and U-17 boys, which I will be taking to the 21st Arsenal FC International Soccer Festival in London, England, from July to August. I currently hold a NSCAA National Diploma, Advanced National Diploma and a U.S. Soccer Federation-National Youth License (NYL). I have been with the club for two years now and have been involved with their youth programme here in the States for about 10 years.”

No comments:

Post a Comment